Re: [fw-wiz] HIPS experience

On 5/19/07, stursa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
As I said, the management software is a component of CiscoWorks. It didn't
start out that way. The product was developed by Okeena, who were bought
out by Cisco. The management piece was stand-alone and cost about $3k.
Cisco dropped that and bundled it into CiscoWorks, which costs about $10k.

You will be happy to know that CSA no longer depends on CiscoWorks :-)

As for CSA, yes, it offers great protection. I ran it on all my own
Windows workstations. However, given the cost of client licenses,
CiscoWorks, and the time required to administer it, I don't see it as a
solution for a small business, or even many medium sized ones.

Again, no CiscoWorks, but CSA is still an enterprise product and is
priced as such. For the security it buys the purchaser, and from your
experience as you stated, the pricing is fair. Since CSA is one of
the only products that stops 0-day, the purchaser must ask themselves
what the cost is for cleaning up after being hit by an attack as such.
But as always, there are many security products available, so decide
which one fits yours needs and price point...
--
Kristian Hermansen

  • Re: The Sun Online reports ....
    ... not CSA cost and recovery. ... > Though the backlog being so high is itself a major cause for concern. ... >> Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary Philip Hammond said the agency was ...
    (uk.gov.agency.csa)
  • Re: TZ170 vs Cisco831
    ... Plus its performance is far superior to the Cisco box. ... The VPN setup is also kind of nasty, ... It has by far in my opinion the best/most features ... for the lowest cost. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: The Sun Online reports ....
    ... Thats something the Nazis did, ... >> enforcement cost and recovery, not CSA cost and recovery. ...
    (uk.gov.agency.csa)
  • Re: Sysco?
    ... Cisco. ... A small group of people, usually of the wizard variety, get ... employees to make a new widget, ... If it fails as a product, the company ate the cost. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: IPphone 7961G config file description?
    ... If Cisco is telling you they only support SIP with CCM, ... the total lifetime support cost, so if the vendor is not going to support it ... Feature - it does not subscribe for this feature). ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)