Re: [fw-wiz] firewalls and routers

On 11/15/06, phil connelly <fillconn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm afraid I have some really basic questions (I'm trying to resolve a
potential security issue where I work).

1. if we are using a router, does that mean a computer that processes credit
cards does not need to have its firewall enabled?
2. can a router have a firewall and if so, how does one get to it to
configure it?

thx

pc

Generally you would want a 'real' firewall in between the router and
the credit card computer. By 'real' I would mean a stateful hardware
firewall at the minimum, something like a PIX. In any case a machine
that is specifically for security of the systems on your cc processor.

so

{internet} ------ [router] ------- [firewall] ----- [credit card processor]

A firewall on the computer is nice, but a general purpose operating
systems are prone to being successfully attacked. Packet filtering on
the router is also a good thing to turn on but neither is a
replacement for the real firewall.

sai

  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... not visiting dodgy Websites. ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... how long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc so it ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... having the protection of a router, not opening dodgy emails, and not ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by your router ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)