Re: [fw-wiz] firewalls and routers

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, phil connelly wrote:

I'm afraid I have some really basic questions (I'm trying to resolve a
potential security issue where I work).

1. if we are using a router, does that mean a computer that processes credit
cards does not need to have its firewall enabled?

[Dusts off the old soapbox] That depends upon your security policy.
That's the document that says what's permissable, what's not, what level
of protection each asset or category of assets have, and potentially how
it's all implemented and audited. If you're gonna do it right, you gotta
start at step one.

2. can a router have a firewall and if so, how does one get to it to
configure it?

Depends on the router, but it should be in the vendor's documentation that
came with the device. That, along with the saved configuration should be
part of your disaster recovery package...

Paul

  • Re: O2 dont seem to care about security! Not a hoax after all.
    ... My router is one of the routers affected, ... "Plusnet has been made aware of a potential security ... We are advising our customers, whether you have a 585v7, or any ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • [fw-wiz] firewalls and routers
    ... I'm afraid I have some really basic questions (I'm trying to resolve a ... potential security issue where I work). ... if we are using a router, does that mean a computer that processes credit ... can a router have a firewall and if so, how does one get to it to ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE: Extract Data from Memo Field
    ... Create an Asset table -- ... You will need to run the append query for as many times as you have assets ... retaining the same Ticket #. ... Client has router config to use for new router ...
    (microsoft.public.access.queries)