From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry
Gardner
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 3:52 PM
To: firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [fw-wiz] Cisco 2811 vs. ASA 55xx

I just bumped the speed of my DSL connection up to 6MBps and want to replace
my existing FW/router box with something with higher performance and more
robustness.

I'm thinking of either a Cisco ASA (5505 or 5510) or a Cisco 2811 router. If
I go the 2811 route (forgive the pun), I'll get the Advanced Security (with
IOS Firewall) feature set.

I like the versatility of the 2811 since I can get an ADSL card to plug in
and replace my external modem, but I'm not sure it has enough performance.
According to the Cisco data sheets I've read, the 2811 throughput is 61.44
Mbps. Is this real-world throughput with Firewall rules, NAT, and VPN
connections active, or is it with everything turned off? A report I read
said the real-life throughput is more like 2x T1 lines. This is only 3 Mbps.
Who is correct here? If I have a reasonable number of firewall rules active
(using the new zone-based firewall features in IOS 12.4), NAT, and
terminating a VPN connection or two, will my 6 Mbps line overtax the 2811?

The ASA 5510, on the other hand, is rated for 300 MBps. This seems like a
vast improvement on the throughput of the 2811. Is the lack of flexibility
of the ASA justified by the higher performance?

How do the firewalling features of IOS Firewall (the new, improved version
in 12.4T) compare with those of the ASA?

  • Re: Cisco PIX 515E vs. Fortinet Fortigate-300
    ... I m getting one Fortigate box soon. ... > Firewall Evaluation ... > Cisco 515E: Cisco is a good company that stands behind its products. ... > advanced intrusion-protection features, including DNSGuard, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Identity P/W and Security question
    ... > can't call it a firewall unless it can filter in both directions). ... Far too many antivirus programs operate strictly on known virus definition ... Once in a great while I *do* want the popup - sometimes sites put ... > tool are bloatware filled with features. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • RE: query on firewall throughput.....
    ... if I have a 100 mbps network card in my workstation and I ... might be the firewall if it only has 10 mbps throughput. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: SonicWALL vs. NetGear vs. LinkSys (Pricing/Functionality)
    ... stateful packet inspection, and application proxies. ... Your basic cheap cable/dsl ... other features like VPN's, IDS, extended logging, etc. which many of the ... device with maybe a free or cheap desktop firewall would suffice. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: What does VPN throughput mean?
    ... more firewall than the Fortigate. ... Branch Office VPNs 2000 ... Packet Filter Throughput 200 Mbps ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)