[fw-wiz] Cisco 2811 vs. ASA 55xx

I just bumped the speed of my DSL connection up to 6MBps and want to replace
my existing FW/router box with something with higher performance and more
robustness.

I'm thinking of either a Cisco ASA (5505 or 5510) or a Cisco 2811 router. If
I go the 2811 route (forgive the pun), I'll get the Advanced Security (with
IOS Firewall) feature set.

I like the versatility of the 2811 since I can get an ADSL card to plug in
and replace my external modem, but I'm not sure it has enough performance.
According to the Cisco data sheets I've read, the 2811 throughput is
61.44Mbps. Is this real-world throughput with Firewall rules, NAT, and
VPN
connections active, or is it with everything turned off? A report I read
said the real-life throughput is more like 2x T1 lines. This is only 3 Mbps.
Who is correct here? If I have a reasonable number of firewall rules active
(using the new zone-based firewall features in IOS 12.4), NAT, and
terminating a VPN connection or two, will my 6 Mbps line overtax the 2811?

The ASA 5510, on the other hand, is rated for 300 MBps. This seems like a
vast improvement on the throughput of the
2811. Is the lack of flexibility of the ASA justified by the higher performance?

How do the firewalling features of IOS Firewall (the new, improved version
in 12.4T) compare with those of the ASA?

  • Re: I am having connectivity problems
    ... firewall and turned ON Windows firewall. ... When I tried to install SP2 I was unable to get it thru Windows Update. ... does the connection problem persist? ...
  • Re: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2s Firewall
    ... Subject: AW: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2's Firewall ... If you update a WinXP SP-1 with enabled Internet ... Connection Firewall ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2s Firewall
    ... file and printer sharing is available for network login from any network (I ... Internet Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled." ... Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2's Firewall ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... No, I don't have a 3rd party firewall, and it's a pretty plain vanilla WinXP ... Connected to the network like the other workstations, ... I could go to any workstation and connect to them just fine. ... match the broadband connection, the two NIC firewall, the remote ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Big hole??
    ... > firewall then even they can't get in, ... > supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet ... > Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... > in fact is a common configuration and not a rare sight. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)