Re: [fw-wiz] How automate firewall tests

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

The "take whole classes of problems off the table" approach
is what engineers consider elegance of design. It's that kind
of elegance that is mostly lacking in how we do operating
systems and security system design, today.

There is a structured systems design book I have (I think that's the
one, anyway) that recommends input be conditioned as early in the data
flow as possible so it's done and over with, and you can not have to
worry about unconditioned data floating around in the system, being
(similarly) conditioned in multiple places (code redundancy), etc.
Similar concept.

Jim

  • Re: [fw-wiz] How to automate ... Correct Network Designs...
    ... is what engineers consider elegance of design. ... of elegance that is mostly lacking in how we do operating ... worry about unconditioned data floating around in the system, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Questions please
    ... as having a coherent role to play in system design. ... that clearly expresses the nature of actual, key domain and use entities ... are certain the system fulfills all use cases within the specifications ... How well does the high level system design mirror, ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Why refactoring is better
    ... at least in terms of what the client approved - ... assessing the design in terms of even what features for sure must be in ... the key driver of system design when it actually is operating far from ... using that as the basis for a holistic architectural plan ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Why is OO Popular?
    ... The Simula languages were developed at the Norwegian Computing Center, ... lifeblood of OO design. ... for use at more complex levels of OO system design. ... ways to comprise varying OO design kernel aggregations kernels. ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Cobol .DAT backup solution
    ... zero transaction loss) is an afterthought to system design; ... it is an afterthought design. ... This IT problems usually occurs in a 3rd world scenario where corporate ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)