Re: [fw-wiz] How automate firewall tests

"R. DuFresne" <dufresne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Keith A. Glass wrote:
[snip]
Well. . .we packet-filter at the border routers and switches prior to the
border firewall to take some of the load off. . .but then ALL our routers
are
set to packet filter as an additional security measure. . .

It might amaze a number of folks to learn how uncommon this setup is these
days.
[snip]

In a way it amazes me, and in a way it does not. It amazes me in that
it's such a logical thing to do, I'm at a loss as to understand why
somebody wouldn't. (I'm speaking in general terms. I'm sure there are
perfectly valid exceptions.) It does not amaze me in that I've come to
the conclusion that competence is (increasingly) a rare thing.

The router needs to protect itself. The router can also aid in the
protection of the firewall. The router can also take some of the load
off the firewall.

Jim

  • Re: problem - maybe due to 3Com Wireless DSL router?
    ... Why does one of my PCs load web pages flawlessly whereas ... My router, via NAT, serves two computers. ... If I disable the router firewall, the downstairs PC continues to work ... so does the upstairs PC. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: Microsoft websites are inaccessible
    ... can not get well formed pages to load at msdn2.microsoft.com nor can I ... When did my firewall learn to discriminate? ... msdn2 using the search results... ... the router. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Microsoft websites are inaccessible
    ... I can not get well formed pages to load at msdn2.microsoft.com nor can I ... When did my firewall learn to discriminate? ... ProSafe VPN) but the Road Runner ISP requires dynamic DNS to be selected ... on the router. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Microsoft websites are inaccessible
    ... clintonG wrote: ... I've heard all kinds of assumptions suggesting local cache problems to my firewall. ... A helpful guy finally responded stating he and others resolves similar problems by disabling dynamic DNS on the firewall but the Road Runner ISP requires dynamic DNS to be selected on the router. ... If you care to try to do a Google search such as the following and then try to load several pagefrom msdn2 using the search results... ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] How automate firewall tests
    ... border firewall to take some of the load off. ... It might amaze a number of folks to learn how uncommon this setup is these ... The router needs to protect itself. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)