From: firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles
Norton
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:54 AM
To: firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [fw-wiz] Question about a Cisco PIX 515 - Routing question (I
think)

Hello everyone, I apologize if this is a question that has been answered
previously (this is my first time joining the list, and posting to it as
well) - I looked through some of the archives and couldn't find anything
that addressed it (or maybe its likely that I don't know how to properly
describe the issue).

I have a Cisco Pix 515 UR, with PIX 7.04 OS and ASDM 5.04 (the newest of
both). - I had my friend help me setup the box at his datacenter and for the
most part its been working, except I realized recently once we moved all the
servers behind it (they're all Virtual Machines running on a single box -
which should be irrelevant I suppose) the machines were then unable to
communicate with each other using their public IP #'s.

Where this became obvious is that, I have 2 SMTP servers, one Exchange
server and another is part of Plesk Hosting panel - when users on one system
email users on another - they're using the @whatever.com domain name, which
can't be resolved because those servers can't communicate on the public
equivalents of what has been NAT'd to the private network which resides on
10.0.1.x

A good way to describe is - if I go on a machine, it has IP of 10.0.1.23
(internal) which is NAT'd to an external IP of 38.118.71.83 (outside) -
coming from the general Internet, if I hit that IP #, I would get a ping
back, as well as a connection to the web server on there. - If I try to do
the same FROM that machine, or from any other machine on the PIX, it can't
find the route to connect.

Does this make sense?

Can anyone maybe offer any advice or guidance in the matter?

If anyone might be able to lend some assistance I would be most grateful.

Thank you,

Charles

  • Re: Dual gateway configuration on ASA 5520
    ... have a default gateway on interface outside2, route ... PIX / ASA does not have source routing. ... The usual way of handling this sort of thing on PIX / ASA ... route to 10.3.x.x was through the outside2 interface so it would ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • [fw-wiz] RE: PIX v7: routing without NAT
    ... Create another private network and assign it to your inside interface ... for the servers that need access to it from the internet. ... servers behind my PIX 515E to use the public IP ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Win Server 2003 RAS routing problems
    ... > I have been playing about with RAS between two servers... ... When using 'route' the RAS interface isnt listed ... I would stick with using servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • Re: To reboot the PIX or not reboot - that is the question
    ... (via the outside interface of the PIX). ... Talking to my colleague he seems to think the PIX will be forwarding my ... not hits in my no-nat etc. ... You can create a route for 172.31.233/24 specifically, ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: pix routing question
    ... the pix is learning 2 IP addresses from this router. ... a secondary default route pointing out of another interface. ... and how is it learning the routes? ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)