Re: [fw-wiz] Appropriate PIX logging level

On Sat, 6 May 2006, ArkanoiD wrote:

nuqneH,

Well, i just want paranoid "better fail than miss" approach to be implemented.
;-)
At least optionally.

I know syslog is generally "reliable enough", but..

I definantly agree that there are times when you want the 'fail if you
can't log it' approach, but I would disagree that syslog should do this.

'fail if you can't log' can be a very expensive thing to do. Taken to it's
logical conclusion you need acknowledgement that it's stored to survive a
reboot, which means either on magnetic media or battery backed cache. on
magnetic media is _very_ expensive performance wise, and isn't even
possible with most IDE drives out there. battery backed cache is expensive
in $$.

given all the different things that use syslog, I wouldn't want to pay
these sorts of costs for all of them (however I would be willing to pay it
for some types of logs)

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  • 2.6.18-rc2-mm1 timer int 0 doesnt work
    ... 2.6.18-rc2-mm1 causes boot to fail early with: ... IO_APIC timer interrupt 0 doesn't work ... syslog from working 2.6.18-rc2 located at: ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: syslog analyse
    ... >I'm looking for a small tools to help me to analyse my syslog! ... Depends on what it is that you want to analyse. ... Lars M. Hansen ... "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?" ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Failing our Children
    ... pay. ... Well, if that is the problem, then school operation is the problem. ... In order for the school to fail, ... The Department of Education will not in any shape fashion, manner or form state that in any way that students and their parents are conceivably responsible for their own achievement. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: X86 server
    ... Also had an OSA fail. ... The other OSA did an ARP takeover and no IP sessions were lost. ... or pay for more BOOKs ... X64 would be another option to pay less for less reliablity. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Ebay and Romanian auction winner
    ... I fail to see the problem. ... I repeat - if the buyer is happy to pay the shipping, ... Romanian friend asked me for help in obtaining a little while ago. ... Mobile phone bits, as it happened - especially surprising since he works ...
    (uk.legal)