Re: [fw-wiz] Assessment Of GoToMyPC vs. Network Security

"Paul D. Robertson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Jim Seymour wrote:

servers and network. There doesn't appear to be *anything* to
prevent any employee from signing up for their own GoToMyPC account,
installing the requisite software on their desktop, and having their
way with their desktop PC from anywhere in the world. There's really

You can control what software an employee can install, that's getting
easier/better in a Windows environment.
[snip]

Nice in theory. Doesn't appear to work in practice. We have, for
example, employees that must be able to add new WLANs when they're on
the road. Lack of "Administrator" access apparently precludes this.
Ran into another one today. Volo View (an AutoCAD viewer application)
insists on trying to modify the system registry. So if the end-user
doesn't have "Admin," or at least "Power User," rights: No go. The
list goes on and on. Suffice it to say, we tried, we really, really
tried (and we're still trying) to limit end-user access as much as
possible. But success has proven elusive. (Note: I'm not the 'doze
guru. I'm going by what little I know and what those who are supposed
to know tell me.)

Jim
filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/scform.php>.

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Assessment Of GoToMyPC vs. Network Security
    ... installing the requisite software on their desktop, ... You can control what software an employee can install, ... You can for instance, regularly download the software, MD5 it and block it ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE : a spy problem
    ... One option is the installing of a keylogging software or hardware. ... much easier than looking at logs from hundreds of machines. ... that the target employee was actually the one who sent ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Work Examiner 1.6
    ... As an employer or a manager of any level, ... specialized solution to tackle the problem of employee tracking. ... Installing a network ... Work Examiner allows you to set flexible policies for Internet and ...
    (comp.software.shareware.announce)