Re: [fw-wiz] XML firewalls

Well, naturally, I cannot resist*. There is quite a few things that are
commonly considered part of best practice. You mention some of them
already. First, there is verifying that the XML is well-formed and does
not have malicious characteristics. Second, there's verifying the
structure and value ranges, usually accomplished using XML schema
validation. In web services setting, there are WSDL files that can be
thought of as describing the schema structures of all the RPC requests &
(e.g., do not allow "deleteAllInvoices" method to be called from the
outside), and this is achieved using standards such as XPath or some the
policy languages. The user interface to almost all of this should be an
easy-to-use UI, of course, but underneath it is these specs that make
things works. Fourth, there is good old authentication, authorization and
audit, where SAML, XACML and integration with LDAP or various existing SSO
systems make their appearance. At this stage you can apply fine-grained
policies such as: "user Arkanoid not allowed to invoke "getInvoice" method
iwth argument greater than 100 after 5pm", all at the network level
(outside the application code). Fifth is various message-level crypto,
transcription, routing and service virtualization steps. And there are
some more, potentially. Gartner had put out a list of best practices at
some point, as well.

I'll include some links below for more information and further reading,
but the above is the really interesting thing here that's happened with
XML firewalls, web services security and the like. For the first time,
security professionals can both enforce a positive security model (with
known-good protocol descriptions & schemas) and apply application-level
policy (down to parameters in a function call) in the network, using a
secure device. All using open standards that are decoupled from the
application. This isn't easily done with DCOM, CORBA or other types of
old-style RPC traffic, you just can't get an operationally scalable level
of control, and everyone spends a lot of time trying to block "known bad"
traffic.

So quite aside from whether you have an XML security problem today, this
is an interesting development for security in general, and something that
is only made possible by standardization of the application-to-application
protocols around XML, SOAP, web services, etc.

---
* Disclaimer: I founded DataPower, a maker of XML-aware network devices
that was recently acquired by IBM, which now sells XML Security Gateway,
among other products. http://www.datapower.com

---
Links:
XML Schema - http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema
XACML - http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xacml
Misc XML security info - http://www.securewebservices.org
IBM DataPower XS40 product info -
http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html

ArkanoiD <ark@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: firewall-wizards-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/13/2006 06:35 AM

firewall-wizards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[fw-wiz] XML firewalls

nuqneH,

I wrote this to the list a couple of years ago, but no one answered ,
though
i see some XML firewall people here.

Could anyone provide some comments on this lines:

On SOAP and other http+xml combos: how do you create security polices
for passing xml-based messages through firewall?

I've read WS-SecurityPolicy paper, seen some ads of XML firewalls but have

not seen any good example on how that works for any simple XML-based
protocol.
Let's start with, say, jabber: i'd like to write a policy that logs sender
ids and restricts everything other to fit official jabber schema without
vendor extensions. Could anyone show me how can that be achieved with
current
products?

----- Forwarded message from ArkanoiD <ark@xxxxxxxx> -----