Re: [fw-wiz] "firewalls are obsolete" rant

I still have to ask why everyone is an admin on their local machine,
but beyond that I'm also wondering why you would spend the extra time
and money on an IRC client/environment at all. If the communications
are to be kept within the company, MS provides free software to do
that and you don't have to open it up to the 'Net. Here they install
Messenger on every system. You're not allowed off-network and can only
add users from AD.

If you do need to include folks from off the network then why not use
one of the new whiz-bang web sites? Every vendor I've dealt with in
the last couple of years has either installed their own or has rented
time from a third-party.

IRC isn't all that efficient at sharing ideas anyway - can't see how
anyone could make a business case for it.

On 1/30/06, Paul Melson <pmelson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] "firewalls are obsolete" rant
<SNIP>
> Being honest, if I had it to do over again, I would've fought harder to keep
> it out.  What we came up with* mitigates the threat of bots and other
> unauthorized clients getting back to an irc server outside our network, but
> we wasted lots of time and energy to get there, all so a handful of people
> didn't have to use e-mail to collaborate.  And since I can audit the
> conversations that take place, I also know how much it's used.  We're still
> "upside-down" on the value proposition that was used to argue for it.
>
> PaulM
>
> * Happy to talk about this off-list if you're still in need of ideas.

  • Re: Port 6667
    ... > I have been scanning my network for a while and found IRC ... > Port 6667 on two machines. ... It sounds like you have an IRC client running. ... If you did not install it ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Why attacker install irc after hacking?
    ... IRC channel. ... attack through owned box/boxes. ... Why attacker install irc after hacking? ... Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprisefor 30 days for FREE with no ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: The Future of the Usenet (was: Re: Good-Bye rr.com)
    ... If killfiles worked, the Usenet would be ... Without trolls and spammers, the Usenet could be the most ... to a means for making the world a smaller place, very much like IRC, ... on our network as well, albeit that there is nothing for them to leech. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Why attacker install irc after hacking?
    ... Usually when the hack has installed some malware, it will report back to a specific IRC channel and wait for the owner to enter any commands. ... Why attacker install irc after hacking? ... Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprisefor 30 days for FREE with no ... FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Possible virus?
    ... The traffic that you are seeing are going to an IRC network, ... >inbound tcp src outside:69.50.163.130/6667 dst ...
    (Security-Basics)