Re: [fw-wiz] "firewalls are obsolete" rant

nuqneH,

Well, i have an irc proxy that may block or pass dcc, what software do you
use on that firewall?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 07:09:27AM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:

> "Hawkins, Michael" <MHawkins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Now here's a rant http://patrioticduo.blogspot.com/
> [snip]
>
> "Partitioning is coming?"  On my network it's already here--in a wy.
>
> Coincidentally, just yesterday afternoon an end-user got himself
> blackholed on one of the firewalls for tripping over a simple IDS that
> didn't like him poking at port 6667.
>
> Turns out he wanted to see if he could IRC from the $work network.
>
> Then he tried to talk me into allowing him to do so.  "Absolutely not,"
> says I, "not using that electronic petri dish you call an ``operating
> system.''"  Then he suggested I could limit him to using a text-based
> IRC client.  "How am I going to accomplish that," I asked, "being as
> you have administrator access to your machine?"
>
> He actually has what sounds like a reasonable, work-related reason for
> wanting to access a technically-related IRC network/channel.  I told
> him if he wanted to use a Unix/Linux client approved by I.T., we could
> discuss it.  But no client/desktop systems, particularly those from a
> Certain Large Software Company, and *certainly* no client/desktop
> systems over which the end-user has admin rights.
>
> I wonder if there's a *good* IRC proxy out there that will block DCC
> for me...?
>
> Jim

  • RE: [fw-wiz] "firewalls are obsolete" rant
    ... http://cgiirc.sourceforge.net/ is a web based IRC client, ... doesn't implement DCC so it'll save that, but DCC must run over a ... wanting to access a technically-related IRC network/channel. ... But no client/desktop systems, particularly those from a ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [RAZOR] Linux kernel IP masquerading vulnerability (_actual_
    ... What do FTP numeric responses have to do with IRC and an IRC ... Firewall thinks this is IRC protocol connection, HTTP client thinks it is ... first line from the server no matter how it looks like. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: [9fans] plan 9 IRC client
    ... > what do people use for an IRC client under plan 9? ... posting the resulting dialogue to ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: OT: irc, irc clients, sunshine. (was Re: [opensuse] Demand for a KDE 3 LiveCD?)
    ... The program "chat" is a console thing and is very old, ... that IRC is as old as that. ... Now, I do have "xchat". ... theoreticaly doable directly by a human using merely a telnet client, ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] "firewalls are obsolete" rant
    ... just yesterday afternoon an end-user got himself ... blackholed on one of the firewalls for tripping over a simple IDS that ... Turns out he wanted to see if he could IRC from the $work network. ... IRC client. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)