RE: [fw-wiz] False results to DMZ

Hello David,

with firewalls or other security devices between scanner and target
you have always a Problem with malformed IP-Packets. The behaviour
depends on firewall-settings.

Please check the behavior in your case with tcpdump. I assume
that your pix first pretends that all ports are open and if
the Ack-Flag is received ( which never comes with the syn-scan ),
the real connection was established and if fails, the RST-Flag
comes back. This behaviour was one kind of protection against
SYN-Flood attacks .

Try the following:
Connection to an open port with telnet ( telnet <target> <portnum> )
With tcpdump you shoul see the normal three-way handshake

Connection to a unavail port/host
If you thee the three-way handshake with an additional RST Packet,
you know, it works like described above.

Therefore you have to use the tcp-connect() scan to check your systems.

- Ralf