Re: [fw-wiz] Why are developers choosing to...

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> Hrrmph. Easy enough to use a second, virtual IP address and a virtual
> host using the virtual IP address, in Apache's 'httpd'. Had someone

Sure, but in a hosted situation, that may cost you money. Regular Web
space on a vhost can be down to $3/month, an extra IP can cost you more
each month, or bump you up into the $35/month end of the spectrum.

Plus, Apache might not be set up to do IP-based vhosts.

Name-based virtual hosts are simple, and often people aim for the lowest
common denominator, or they don't have enough admin experience to do more
than that.

> panic recently that their special app on port 7777 was not being allowed
> through a firewall. Turned out it was a Web app. Grumble.

I feel your pain.

Paul

  • Re: TcpClient Problem
    ... I've not been able to get them to interpret a string ... Paul T. ... can ping the host PC from the device successfully using the same IP ... address as I am using in the TcpClient I have checked the wireless ...
  • Re: TcpClient Problem
    ... Paul T. ... can ping the host PC from the device successfully using the same IP ... address as I am using in the TcpClient I have checked the wireless ... listener object waiting for a connection on the same port number. ...
  • Re: TcpClient Problem
    ... Paul T. ... can ping the host PC from the device successfully using the same IP ... address as I am using in the TcpClient I have checked the wireless ... the connection. ...
  • Re: Spam Filter
    ... Rejecting the message in the SMTP> transaction means that the *sender* knows you didn't get the email, ... your receiving host. ... that was the point Paul was making. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: TcpClient Problem
    ... When you pass a string, that's interpreted as a host name, *NOT* an IP ... Paul T. ... Dim ParsedIPAddress as IPAddress ... as I am using in the TcpClient I have checked the wireless configuration ...