Re: [fw-wiz] FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, sai wrote:

> on firewall if you really want all-in-one boxes. Why would you want an
> IDS on the same machine as a firewall? Its not going to work. It will
> not have enough signatures to give you the sort of security you need.

[What the heck, no interesting debate in a while...]

I think there's a bigger question "why would you want an IDS?" AFAICT,
IDS's are only good for (a) stopping stuff your firewall rules should
already stop or (b) stopping known-bad stuff you have to let in that
almost always have patches or work-arounds and (c) if you're regulated
into them (i.e. HIPPA.)

Since I tend to preach good firewall rulesets and strengthening the
obvious vectors with good patching/strong configuration, I really fail to
see situations where "If only we'd had an IDS/IPS" is the matra rather
than "if only we'd patched/filtered" wasn't an altogether better mantra.

Maybe someone hitting the IDS pipe can come up with some good examples of
when just doing the right thing wouldn't have stopped whatever it is that
is known enough for signatures but not enough for configuring or
patching...

Paul

  • RE: Thinking about Security rules...
    ... > Subject: Re: Thinking about Security rules... ... >>rules for the IDS. ... by which you attack. ... firewalls in series isn't nearly as nice as a stateful firewall coupled ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Is IDS/IPS worthless?
    ... >>firewall instead of in front of it should BOTH ... >>fill in the gap left by the false sense of security firewalls give (a ... >IDS technology and I certainly believe in the usefullness of IDS. ... that is confusing IDS and NIDS together. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Gartner comments (was Re: Rather funny; looks like page defacement to me)
    ... All IDS systems produce falses. ... In fact, all network security ... firewall monitoring long before they deployed their first IDS. ... Gartner, you really missed the boat on this one. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: IDS on Switched Networks
    ... connecting a network IDS to it would be fine. ... Higher state of alert you know what attacks you are ... If your firewall has NAT turned on, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • RE: IDS, IPS or just rubbish
    ... then it sounds a lot like an IDS to me. ... I wonder what ISS' new firewall will be called? ... They do not have many signatures. ... world's premier technical IT security event! ...
    (Focus-IDS)