RE: [fw-wiz] Single Exchange/OWA on LAN with Internet Access - a good

From: Ravdal, Stig (SRavdal_at_Quiznos.com)
Date: 11/17/05

    To: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL@bvsg.com>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:42:44 -0700

    Thanks Jeff & others,

    No I won't let the admins have their insecure way about things. What I
    struggle with from time to time is having logical and factual reasons
    why this or that is more or less secure.

    But I am starting to put together a list of issues from what I have seen
    in the archives and some of the responses I have heard thus far.

    A new challenge with OWA on Windows 2003 is that you cannot lock down
    the ports that the front-end server needs to talk to the back-end
    system. I saw a different comment on the list suggesting that MS has
    done this to position ISA as the best (and only) solution for OWA in a
    DMZ - it is designed to "publish" MS products including MS CRM. We had
    another issue with that product and providing access to it via SSL-VPN
    where the pages broke because of mangled activeX or something to that
    effect - not very happy with MS approach to securing their products.

    Here's what I have so far for good strong arguments & solutions:

    From Paul:
    - It's a Web authentication application (easy to attack- lots of tools)
    - It uses the user's domain credentials (easy to escallate to more
      attacks)
    - Both of these are simple to do from a computer that's untrustworthy

    Jeff & Manuel:
    - CipherTrust's IronWebMail front end (that sits in a DMZ) or other
    capable reverse proxy such as apache and do auth up-front there (combine
    that with Token and it's strating to get better).

    Thanks guys,

    Stig