[fw-wiz] NFS and Cisco

From: hermit (hermit921_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/09/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 21:47:57 -0800 (PST)

    I have been seeing NFS problem on my network lately, after nfs worked well for years. The major
    change is that the network folks have put in a lot of new Cisco equipment. When I run tcpdump on
    the nfs server and client I see client sending packets to the server, server getting them and
    replying, but the reply packets never make it to the client. I often see fragment flags on the
    packets, and I started to wonder if Cisco switches or routers might have a habit of dropping
    fragmented packets. When packets go through the Nokia firewall, some times packets get dropped
    because the port doesn't seem to be recognized as part of the nfs connection, and some times
    packets don't get dropped at all. Any suggestions will be welcome.

    hermit921

    • Re: Diagnose co-location networking problem
      ... it was from the client. ... Actually there's significant indication of lost packets and clues that ... 540 retransmit timeouts ... are you using any packetfiltering on the server? ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Possible bug in NFSv4 with krb5p security?
      ... security from a FreeBSD server to OSX and Ubuntu clients. ... I always suggest looking at the packets in wireshark, ... Here's an example interaction from the client (Ubuntu in this case, ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: process stuck in nfsfsync state
      ... >> server is wedged, not the client. ... Comparing the client and server traces, it looks like fragments in the ... loss for individual packets adds up. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: TDS vs. TCP
      ... I start capturing the network traffic between SQL ... Server and the client. ... I don't see any TDS packets but the communication between SQL ... stand-a-lone server and the client, ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
    • Re: DHCP
      ... DHCPINFORM is used only if the client has ... >>> I would run ethereal on the server and catch all the packets exchanged ... >>> between the client and server. ... > implies that the host has a "working" IP address. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)