Re: [fw-wiz] PIX Dual line Internet HDSL and ADSL

From: David Lang (david.lang_at_digitalinsight.com)
Date: 11/05/05

    To: Brian Loe <knobdy@gmail.com>
    Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 06:38:38 -0800 (PST)

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Brian Loe wrote:

    > Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:28:48 -0600
    > From: Brian Loe <knobdy@gmail.com>
    > To: dan@linder.org
    > Cc: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    > Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] PIX Dual line Internet HDSL and ADSL
    >
    > Okay, so to summarize form everyone's posts (and thank you, btw):
    >
    > We're using HSRP as it was designed but there might be some issues in
    > that since we're probably not using BGP correctly and the
    > secondary/stand-by router is still getting traffic.
    >
    > We need to look more deeply into what our ISP is supposed to be
    > providing and see if it/they actually are providing that. I would have
    > to guess they are not since we're not seeing nearly enough traffic on
    > the secondary router - and it's bound to be the shortest route from
    > some parts of the 'Net.
    >
    > On the right track or still confused? And I see that this is off-topic
    > so feel free to respond off-list.

    correct

    I've seen cases where one BGP link really never is the best interface
    (with a pair of 'big 3' ISP's) where one of them was never the best route,
    it turned out on investigation that our connection to them had 5 more hops
    then the other one, even to other locations within that ISP. a bit if
    yelling (and a few threats to move business elsewhere) finally got them to
    fix the problem.

    David Lang

      -- C.A.R. Hoare

    • Re: C Books and algorithm books
      ... C99. ...      As above. ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: ... make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: How do find from string character capital letter
      ... So in case strtoupper($aChar) equals $aChar you proved $aChar was uppercase. ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. ...
      (comp.lang.php)
    • Re: Php Include bug in firefox
      ... definitely not a PHP problem. ... This works in msie, not in firefox. ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. ...
      (comp.lang.php)
    • Re: reading html content from webpage via php script
      ... available but which one could, for convenience, scrape from an ... Since law is not my strong point, ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. ...
      (comp.lang.php)