Re: [fw-wiz] scanning...

From: Brian Loe (knobdy_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/03/05

    To: Julian M D <julianmd@gmail.com>
    Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:17:53 -0600

    Awesome, if it works this might be the answer! Now we'll just have to see
    what the limitations of the trial version are.

    On 11/2/05, Julian M D <julianmd@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I feel your pain, I'm exactly in the same situation. Here's what helped me
    > get the big picture!
    > http://www.neon.com/map.shtml
    >
    > On 11/2/05, Hile.William@epamail.epa.gov <Hile.William@epamail.epa.gov >
    > wrote:
    > >

    > > NMAP would be an excellent tool... you can put in the IP range or subnet
    > > with that... As far as traversing firewalls... it will only report what
    > > ports are allowed through the firewall for each host... so you are firewall
    > > ruleset dependant so it may not give you complete results for a host on the
    > > other side of a firewall... It will report as an example port 80 is allowed
    > > through and httpd is running on the host in question so it will report that
    > > service but smptd is also running on the server however its not allowed
    > > through the firewall from you so you will not know its listening because you
    > > cant see the port... so you are basically bound to your firewall rule set
    > > there could be servers beyond your firewall that are up and functional but
    > > that you do not have access to any of the services running on them so from
    > > your perspective they will essentially be down.
    > >

    > > William
    > >

    > > *Brian Loe <knobdy@gmail.com>*
    > >
    > > 11/02/2005 02:31 PM
    > > William Hile/RTP/USEPA/US@EPA cc
    > > firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com,
    > > firewall-wizards-admin@honor.icsalabs.com Subject
    > > Re: [fw-wiz] scanning...
    > >

    > > I was going to mention nmap - which I wouldn't mind using in this effort
    > > at all. The question is, will it traverse the firewalls?
    > >
    > > Isn't there a "true" management network operation you can use on Cisco
    > > boxes that work as a "private VLAN" and be passed via most any device - even
    > > a PIX (and they think they're a part of VLAN 1 or whatever, right?)? Words
    > > in "s are there for a lack of better ones, or my lack of understanding.
    > >
    > > On 11/2/05, *Hile.William@epamail.epa.gov *<Hile.William@epamail.epa.gov><
    > > * Hile.William@epamail.epa.gov * <Hile.William@epamail.epa.gov>> wrote:
    > >
    > > Brian,
    > > I think I would approach this from a ummm hacker mentatility... I know a
    > > little info and I need to gain all the information I can.. I think I would
    > > probably start with something simple like angry IP scanner and input the
    > > subnet (of course make sure you have permission to scan the network) and go
    > > from there. There are tons of free tools out there that can ip walk and OS
    > > guess but just make sure you have full permission to make you scans before
    > > doing so. humm seems that whatsup gold (there's a free trial out there) will
    > > do network discovery and even seems that it will do so via whatever port you
    > > choose... Its been awhile since i used it... and I know it will monitor your
    > > server/workstations via whatever port but I cant remember how it does net
    > > discovery... And if you have free reign of the network use this as a
    > > learning exp and try out several ways to do what you are trying to
> [...]

    • RE: Secure Network Design (DMZ, LAN, etc)
      ... you'll see that their both on the same subnet. ... It has a port for the trusted network and a port ... Our firewall handles NAT. ... > servers, wouldn't it require a public IP and therefore be somewhat ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: can ping but not browse
      ... I have stopped the firewall. ... # are safed from all (security) hazards. ... firewall/bastion host to the internet ... # internet and to an internal network, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Alias in different subnet on card
      ... Alias in different subnet on card ... > I'm running a firewall at the moment using FreeBSD 5.2.1 and IPFW. ... > this by adding an alias to xl1, ... > have to get another network card? ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: [OT ish] Router vs Firewall - corporate environment
      ... We're in the process of planning to split up our corporate network - ... ie, a subnet for servers, one for users, one for admins etc etc. ... buying a firewall to do this. ... should not be able to get past a good stateful firewall setup. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] scanning...
      ... > ports are allowed through the firewall for each host... ... > cant see the port... ... > subnet and go ... > do network discovery and even seems that it will do so via whatever port you ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)