RE: [fw-wiz] 7.0 Pix software capabilities

From: Paul Melson (pmelson_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/03/05

    To: "'James Wyant'" <jwyant@skylight.com>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 08:12:53 -0500

    -----Original Message-----
    Subject: [fw-wiz] 7.0 Pix software capabilities

    > Does anyone know if software version 7.0 has the ability to transfer the
    mac address of a
    > device on the outside interface to the inside secure interface without
    altering it.

    > I have a need to put a pix between a public wireless network and my
    network gateway which
    > requires the mac address of the user to determine if they are new member
    trying to attach
    > to the gateway.
    >
    > Those of you who travel can think of how such a system word work in a
    hotel environment.

    PIX v7.0 has a "transparent firewall" mode where it acts as a bridging
    firewall (no NAT, and therefore no proxy ARP). This should work for what
    you describe.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration
    _guide_chapter09186a0080450b17.html#wp1039986

    PaulM

    • Re: inconsistent arp(8) mac address output using if_bridge
      ... > I have a small machine setup to act as simple network gateway. ... > I have one wireless and one wired interfaces without IP configuration ... > While the mac addresses appear to be correct, ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • re: [fw-wiz] 7.0 Pix software capabilities
      ... do not traverse routers or firewalls. ... The MAC address that you will see ... I have a need to put a pix between a public wireless network and my ... network gateway which requires the mac address of the user to determine ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)