[fw-wiz] scanning...

From: Brian Loe (knobdy_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/02/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:22:41 -0600

    Let me ask all of you a fairly generic question that should garner
    lots of different ideas. Let us say that you have gone to work for a
    new company as a network admin. It is a fairly complex network with
    multiple routers, switches and firewalls (a firewall for every router,
    let's say). The current network team has no formal training and have
    done all of their learning on the job, following a contracting company
    who was paid to initially setup the network.

    Okay, so how would you go about mapping out this network? You don't
    have the understanding of devices by name yet, and each device is
    likely to have 20 interfaces on it, with 20 IPs for 20 networks! You
    live on a "management network", but it's only "management" because
    it's a subnet which has been given telnet access to all of the devices
    on the network - in other words, scanning with your usual tool (LAN
    MapShot from Fluke - in my case, because it CAN start a pretty good
    network diagram directly in Visio) from your "management" network
    won't show you anything than it will from any other subnet.

    Follow what I mean? Ideas? Pretend the network is yours and you're
    free to change anything you want - where would you start?
    firewall-wizards mailing list