RE: [fw-wiz] Pix VPN endpoint and split-tunnel

From: Charlie Winckless (cpw_at_inetx.com)
Date: 10/17/05

    To: "Hughes, Chris" <Chris.Hughes@thalescomminc.com>
    Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:48:55 -0600

    On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:23 -0400, Hughes, Chris wrote:
    > That's pretty much what I read. I thought they may have provided a fix
    > by now. As for the workarounds, this is for a business partner network
    > and I've already presented them with the "spend" option and they don't
    > want to.

    This whole 'no out the same interface' game is why I really dislike
    using
    a PIX for VPN termination. Even a cheap router is a good call. (1801).

    Its much cheaper than an ASA, can hang off another interface, etc.

    (Of course -- I work for a Cisco partner; I'm biased. :) )

    > Another reply I got here from Simon expressed the possibility that PIX
    > 7.x supports this. (split horizon?)

    PIX 7.0 supports hub and spoke VPN routing, but only hub and spoke; I
    don't think you can generically turn around and send data UNENCRYPTED
    out of the same interface it came in -- only encrypted.

    > Anybody?
    >
    > - Chris

    Charlie Winckless, CCIE #7331     u:   http://www.inetx.com
    Senior Consulting Engineer        e:          cpw@inetx.com
    Internetworking Experts           p:   (505) 256-9047 x 144
                                      f:         (505) 256-9091
                                      PGP ID:        0xAB284BD0

    • Re: Configuring Cisco VPN Client / Windows XP
      ... Packets will use an interface based on the routing table. ... Generally speaking when the VPN is connected it will add a route to the ... flush the DNS Cache resolver to clear out the old DNS ... > cannot access the *same* pages on the computer with the VPN client ...
      (comp.dcom.vpn)
    • PIX 501: NAT VPN Clients to Inside?
      ... running the Cisco VPN client 4.x. ... The "Inside" interface has a public IP of 172.46.24.100, ... would appear to come from the interface IP of the pix. ... client computer connecting, getting a 192.168 address, and then it ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Surfing the internet WHILST using a VPN connection (PIX 513)
      ... I don't have any experience with the Cisco VPN client, ... Once on the network users wish to browse the internet. ... There is a PIX 515, and a re-spun version of that called the PIX 515E. ... a seperate physical interface that is also connected to the ISP. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Pix and VPN 3030 traffic routing / redirection
      ... > Currently I have a Pix 515 serving as both a firewall and a VPN ... > Pix dmz interface network: ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Is a site to site VPN in this scenario possible?
      ... PIX 515 DMZ to the outside interface on our local PIX 515. ... tunnel traffic should leave source location's VPN firewall trough it's ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)