Re: [fw-wiz] Pix VPN endpoint and split-tunnel

From: Jason Ostrom (justiceguy_at_pobox.com)
Date: 10/15/05

    To: "Hughes, Chris" <Chris.Hughes@thalescomminc.com>
    Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:10:22 -0500

    If you are using PIX OS 7.0, it does allow hairpinning, which is to
    forward the packet back out the same interface it was received. And
    stated another way, yes, it supports non-split tunneling in remote
    access IPSec environments. See here:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet0900aecd80225ae1.html

    If you are running PIX OS 6.3.(x), it is a correct statement that you
    can't hairpin. But it can be done in another way. The the only way to
    do this is to have two outside interfaces on the PIX. One Outside
    interface terminates the remote access IPSec clients, and the other is
    for the connection to go out public network. This works, absolutely.
    If the IP subnet provided by the ISP is a /28, you can do a /29 on one
    interface and /29 on the other.

    All the best,
    Jason Ostrom

    Hughes, Chris wrote:

    >That's pretty much what I read. I thought they may have provided a fix
    >by now. As for the workarounds, this is for a business partner network
    >and I've already presented them with the "spend" option and they don't
    >want to.
    >
    >Another reply I got here from Simon expressed the possibility that PIX
    >7.x supports this. (split horizon?)
    >
    >Anybody?
    >
    >- Chris

    • PIX 501: NAT VPN Clients to Inside?
      ... running the Cisco VPN client 4.x. ... The "Inside" interface has a public IP of 172.46.24.100, ... would appear to come from the interface IP of the pix. ... client computer connecting, getting a 192.168 address, and then it ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Pix VPN and routing
      ... "computer" has some arbitrary IP address and Cisco's VPN client. ... interface for encryption should be sent towards the outside interface after ... Pix 515 with software 7.0. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Cient VPN full tunnel on a Pix
      ... Is it possible to do a full clinet VPN tunnel on a Pix? ... I am not sure what you mean by a "full client VPN tunnel". ... interface that the packets came in on. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Pix VPN endpoint and split-tunnel
      ... Its much cheaper than an ASA, can hang off another interface, etc. ... > Another reply I got here from Simon expressed the possibility that PIX ... PIX 7.0 supports hub and spoke VPN routing, but only hub and spoke; ... > of anything the PIX or VPN client do. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Pix VPN endpoint and split-tunnel
      ... > would like to force the client to use the corporate network for internet ... PIX-fu rule #1: the PIX is not a router. ... of anything the PIX or VPN client do. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)