Re: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

From: Michael Cassidy (cassidy_at_panix.com)
Date: 09/14/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:57:04 -0400

    On Sep 14, 2005, at 12:03 AM, David Lang wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
    >>
    >> For about a week- maybe two. Look at the password-for-pens studies
    >> and
    >> the password traininng retention studies. While lots of users *do*
    >> want
    >> to do the right thing, you're ignoring the silent majority who just
    >> don't
    >> care.
    >
    > one problem that this shows is that people are not held accountable
    > for the stupid things that they do. (this aldo applies to the user who
    > clicked the attachement to 'see what it would do'). so we feel the
    > pain, but they just get a break from work while the IT guy messes with
    > their machine (and probably for a while afterwords becouse they can
    > blame the IT guy re-imaging the machine for all sorts of things for a
    > week or so).
    >
    > we need to change this from the win-win for the bad user to a
    > loose-loose, As Tina said, being able to reward the good users with
    > net access while denying it to others is a much better approach.

    Not practical when the bad user owns the joint or is the big chief.
    Not practical if the bad user's job requires net access; they may be
    stupid on their computer but very good at their job that only uses a
    computer; researchers at magazines, newspapers, Wall Street etc.

    The reason we have so many windows machines out there is the IT people
    recommend: they are cheaper the MACs; easier to use the Linux.
    I think the real reason is that the more Windows machines out there the
    larger the IT department is giving them support larger budget and head
    count for the CIO/CTO. There are compelling reasons for a CIO/CTO to
    push Windows:

    1. Cheaper to buy so the bottom line looks good at the initial buying
    2. Requires more support therefore larger budget and larger head count
    3. You can blame all of this on the 'bad/stupid users'