RE: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

From: Jim Seymour (jseymour_at_linxnet.com)
Date: 09/14/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:44:30 -0400 (EDT)

    "Bill Royds" <bill@royds.net> wrote:

    > One of the main problems with MS Operating Systems is that one must run
    > as root (administrator) to make it useful since a local user can't even
    > use things like USB ports since they require admin privileges to
    > connect.
    [snip]

    Yes, I know. We've tried, at work, to limit users to non-admin
    privileges and often found ourselves having to give 'em admin privs in
    the end :/.

    <rant>
    What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is freakin' *wrong* with those
    people over at Microsoft? After all these years, they *still* can't
    seem to get it right. It's almost as if they looked at all the good,
    sane practices implemented by other operating systems, applications,
    and IT professionals and said "We'll do it the other way."
    </rant>

    Even if MS did get its head out of its posterior (I'm not holding my
    breath), I still maintain that a general purpose operating system is
    not appropriate for an appliance--which is what MS, in this instance,
    is marketing their product as to the general public. For an appliance,
    you have to think "something nor more involved than a refrigerator,
    kitchen stove, washing machine or automobile."

    When Wintel PeeCees first started replacing X-Terminals in my
    workplace, people thought my objection was anti-MS/anti-Windows bias.
    "No," I explained, "I'd be little happier if what was replacing the
    X-terms was desktop Linux or Solaris boxes. A general purpose OS on
    every desktop decreases reliability, decreases security, and increases
    maintenance and expense."

    Jim