RE: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

From: David Lang (dlang_at_digitalinsight.com)
Date: 09/14/05

    To: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul@compuwar.net>
    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:03:48 -0700 (PDT)

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

    > For about a week- maybe two. Look at the password-for-pens studies and
    > the password traininng retention studies. While lots of users *do* want
    > to do the right thing, you're ignoring the silent majority who just don't
    > care.

    one problem that this shows is that people are not held accountable for
    the stupid things that they do. (this aldo applies to the user who clicked
    the attachement to 'see what it would do'). so we feel the pain, but they
    just get a break from work while the IT guy messes with their machine (and
    probably for a while afterwords becouse they can blame the IT guy
    re-imaging the machine for all sorts of things for a week or so).

    we need to change this from the win-win for the bad user to a loose-loose,
    As Tina said, being able to reward the good users with net access while
    denying it to others is a much better approach.

    David Lang

      -- C.A.R. Hoare

    • Re: Why do I care?
      ... "So why would you care what people do here in Wilmington,The West ... About raising your *own* children brain-dead: that is a crime too, allthough often committed out of ignorance by brain-dead parents that were raised brain-dead themselfs by their parents, etc etc. ... Personally I think a responsible goverment should discourage religion in the society, ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Re: SOP for expected Timeout?
      ... spreadsheet thingy and think we care. ... My appologies for that. ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. ...
      (comp.lang.javascript)
    • Re: Formatted IO of huge/tiny values
      ... People shouldn't use it if they care about fine ... And I tend to personally prefer that list-directed err in the ... Concealing information is not legibility. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
      (comp.lang.fortran)
    • Re: human hybrid
      ... You cannot simply keep posting and ignoring difficult responses and expect anybody to take you seriously. ... "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Re: Converting fixed-to-free format
      ... robin wrote: ... is *not* legal in fixed form ... This is the point that you keep ignoring. ... no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated ...
      (comp.lang.fortran)