RE: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

From: Bill Royds (bill_at_royds.net)
Date: 09/14/05

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:11:21 -0400

    One of the main problems with MS Operating Systems is that one must run as root
    (administrator) to make it useful since a local user can't even use things like
    USB ports since they require admin privileges to connect. Supposedly Microsoft
    Vista will run as local user by default, but 90% or more of Windows home users
    now run with admin privileges.
      Anyone who has ever administered a Unix shop would shiver if all users were
    running as root be default. Yet that is what most home users are doing.
    Funny enough, Mac OSX does not run as root be default yet people can install
    software.
       If Microsoft simply added a patch to XP SP2 to force a password dialogue when
    something was installed or registry changed, we would reduce the virus threat
    considerably.