[fw-wiz] Mitigating MS risks [Was: home users]

From: Tina Bird (tbird_at_precision-guesswork.com)
Date: 09/14/05

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:03:01 -0700

    > It can be done. I've seen it with my own eyes.

    it may have gotten lost in the flurry of messages, but i'll post it again:

    another thing i should add to that short list. if you're a home user and you
    don't use MS networking for file or printer sharing -- which i'd still like
    to think is the case in most places -- you can disable the windoze "client
    for MS networks" and completely avoid an awful lot of the mindless ravening
    crap on the net.

    even during the height of blaster and sasser, just turning off the client --
    without using ANY firewall, and with a public routable IP address -- makes
    it safe to hit windows update. i did it several times, just to prove to
    myself that it worked, during the blaster rampage.

    this has become yet another of my favorite things to do.

    • serious networking (em) performance (ggate and NFS)/Performance issues
      ... serious networking performance (ggate and ... Client ... Client Disk i/o read ~7-8MB/s ... Transferrates ~7-8MB/s similar to Disktraffic ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: EXTPROC, telnetd LINEMODE, revisited
      ... speed broadband networking today, I think the motivation for local ... character processing is as great now as it was 10 years ago. ... Another feature with readline is a command history buffer that can be ... Or perhaps rely on the client to implement its own command ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Internet Sharing in a network
      ... > the other which i made a client and just plugged straight ... Reboot the host computer and then reboot the client. ... connection and click Status | Support | Details. ... Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking) ...
    • Re: Enhanced Remote Desktop Web Connection Page
      ... To download a modified client, ... the advanced client on the bottom of the list... ... My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net ... >I've been frustrated by the inability to put the port number in on the ...
    • Re: MJPEG Network Renderer Filter?
      ... I've come across seem to use a custom networking protocol ... networking renderer filter. ... The worker thread simply calls accept: when a client ... system stream, ...