RE: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 09/14/05

    To: "Tina Bird" <tbird@precision-guesswork.com>, "'Mason Schmitt'" <mason@schmitt.ca>
    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:17:24 -0400

    Tina Bird wrote:
    >if your "aware"
    >population follows a couple of obvious rules (install patches*; run an AV
    >and maybe a PFW**), they're more than likely not gonna get hammered by the
    >vicious mindless auto-propagating crap. so all of a sudden your disease
    >isn't rampaging.

    Nope. Because the network is down, the users that have gotten clobbered
    are all standing around the coffee machine drinking coffee and whining instead
    of working, and the "smart" people who defended themselves will have to:
    a) fix the dumb people's computers
    b) pick up the slack in productivity while the dumb people are down
    c) have dumb people complaining to them
    d) lose their minds

    What I am trying to get across to you is that stupidity is multiplicative
    whereas smart is incremental. Dumbness can rapidly go non-linear and
    the Internet is an amplifier for dumbness. That's why blogs are going to
    be the end of the world. ;)

    mjr.

    • Re: MSDE 2000 on XP over network
      ... Did you enable network access on the MSDE machine? ... Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP ... > instance from another "dumb" XP box on the network, ... > Connectivity test was successful on the local XP box. ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
    • Re: indentation - unbalanced parentheses
      ... intelligence of Fortran programmers - that they need "dumb" ways to ... It has nothing to do with dumbness, it has to do with being a member of homo sapiens. ... Not taking that fact into account properly _is_ being dumb, ... An important aspect of free source form is taking better account of the strengths and waeknesses of human cognition, when compared to fixed source form. ...
      (comp.lang.fortran)
    • Re: Jerry & Biggy Skydiving versions of Dumb and Dumber
      ... Heh - Jinnie's the voice of the Dumb Ass Network. ... you have received the word from fellow Skydivers who are better skydivers ...
      (rec.skydiving)
    • Re: Macs on windows networks
      ... internet through it, what else can i do on the network? ... I'm sorry if the last question is a dumb one. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.apps)
    • Re: Jerry & Biggy Skydiving versions of Dumb and Dumber
      ... Heh - Jinnie's the voice of the Dumb Ass Network. ... you have received the word from fellow Skydivers who are than you and ...
      (rec.skydiving)