RE: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 09/12/05

    To: "Paul Melson" <pmelson@gmail.com>, "'Mason Schmitt'" <mason@schmitt.ca>
    Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:24:42 -0400

    Paul Melson wrote:
    >I fear that you and Marcus have mistaken privacy for anonymity.

    No, no, no.... Privacy, anonymity, and digital rights management
    are all inextricably entertwined parts of the same problem, but they
    don't necessarily equate or conflict.

    ("DRM?" you ask...
    As Dan Geer likes to point out, privacy technologies ideally let the
    owner of a piece of information control its disclosure, copying, duration
    of disclosure, and frequency/count of disclosure. That's also the
    laundry list for an ideal digital rights management system.)

    mjr.

    • RE: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns
      ... I guess I object to my privacy being rebadged as 'anonymity' and therefore a ... > As Dan Geer likes to point out, privacy technologies ideally let the owner ... > of information control its disclosure, copying, duration of disclosure, ... American consumerism trumped American ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • the Webs ethical wildness
      ... This is a fascinating subject, for as the culture deteriorates, new ... an embrace of anonymity and romping dissent; ... privacy; and that persistent resistance to centralized control. ...
      (soc.retirement)
    • Re: Need advice about Proxy and IP
      ... Domainsbypoxy.com is an example of *weak* privacy protection. ... possiblility of invoking "client-solicitor privilege" it could be a form ... Old nemo outis is one of the cleverest men you are ever likely to ... are amenable to incorporation in one's schemes for privacy, anonymity, ...
      (alt.privacy)
    • Re: Something to read
      ... These programs offer a good degree of both anonymity and privacy. ... Tor will install Privoxy. ... One of the most useful attributes of Tor are its hidden services. ...