Re: [fw-wiz] The home user problem returns

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 09/13/05

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:41:29 -0400 (EDT)

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > >User education
    > >----------------
    > >User education still needs to happen
    >
    > Pointless. If educating users was going to work, it would have worked
    > by now. If Anna Kournikova worm and phishing hadn't gotten people

    Educating users to fix the problem doesn't work. Educating users there
    *is* a problem seems to work, just not en-mass.

    Part of the prolem is that end-users are *used* to malware. When the
    computer gets too slow, they call "that person who understands this" to
    come clean off the computer and it's ok for another 2 months. Partially,
    Microsoft is to blame for taking the reliability out of computer
    software- the levee isn't designed for a big storm, and partially malware
    that doesn't kill its host has made these all tropical storms. (Hey,
    someone had to do the Digital Katrina thing, I've saved everyone else
    the trouble.)

    Anna K. and phishing work(ed) because of the social aspects of their
    delivery- we're still trying to fight a technical battle against a social
    problem. We have to take this to the social trenches at some point, or
    we'll be overrrun.

    It's almost tempting to just migrate over to IPv6 space and start again,
    with small gated communities- even if it's just so we get a 5 year break
    between storms.

    > (* source: P-nut)

    Tell him if rants like that didn't work in the past, there's no way
    they'll work now... No, don't tell him- because all we can do is all we
    can do. Even if it's not enough, it's still a good fight.

    Computer security: Fighting the digital Alamo from inside the fort. We
    know how it's gonna end.

    Paul