Re: [fw-wiz] Layer 2 firewalls ...

From: Dale W. Carder (
Date: 08/30/05

    To: "Andrew K. Adams" <>
    Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:29:14 -0500

    I doubt that there's much gained from the marketing material,
    but some pluses for layer-2 firewalls include not having to
    renumber end stations during integration and the ability to
    pass through non-ipv4 or non-unicast traffic easily.

    The downsides are that you better know your layer 2. Not everyone
    thinks about layer 2 because it usually just "works". You need
    to be careful about vlans, stp roots, bpdu's and other fun stuff
    when layer2 firewalls bridge lans.

    Dale W. Carder - Network Engineer
    University of Wisconsin at Madison

    firewall-wizards mailing list

    • Re: Defense in Depth
      ... What is meant by "layers" of security, is this: the entry points that must be ... Physical Layer - Physical access to the resources. ... attacks and other attacks that go after the software itself. ... "layer" in one long chain (lots of firewalls). ...
    • Re: Firewalls: whats the use?
      ... We are thinking obviously of different firewalls here. ... machine network and an untrusted network. ... they are a separate tool that can be used to control what people ... have access to based on a SEPARATE OSI Layer. ...
    • Re: Layer 7 firewall Vs Stateful packet inspection firewall
      ... CheckPoint provides ... or 4th (TCP/IP) layer depending upon the model we're referring to. ... >> For simplistic discussion there are two primary types of firewalls. ...
    • RE: [fw-wiz] GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name
      ... Things that are really signature ... policy based firewalls not being capable of providing the sorts of security ... As with other aspects of security; Defense In Depth should be a cardinal ... Yes I know that this is the Application Layer gateway model, ...
    • Re: What are the best tools to prevent, eliminate worms, virus, web attracks from a network