RE: [fw-wiz] Internet accessible screened subnet - use public orprivateIPs?

From: R. DuFresne (
Date: 07/28/05

    Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:05:38 -0400 (EDT)

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 wrote:

    > What about when IPv6 becomes predominant on the net?
    > Am I mistaken that there doesn't seem to be any concept of NAT in the IPv6
    > specs?
    > I could be wrong, but thought I found that somewhere?

    NATs not the issue with IPv6, retirement will have happened for all here
    long before this happens by all appearances.

    Ron DuFresne
    - --
             admin & senior security consultant:
    Key fingerprint = 9401 4B13 B918 164C 647A E838 B2DF AFCC 94B0 6629

    ...We waste time looking for the perfect lover
    instead of creating the perfect love.

                     -Tom Robbins <Still Life With Woodpecker>
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    firewall-wizards mailing list

    • Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
      ... other people in key postions do and have seen to it that ipv6 got invented and then implemented in all the major hardware and software by now. ... By insisting on using NAT in situations where it's not actually required you shoot yourself in the foot, because developers can not then develop the cool new things that NAT makes impossible. ... As in pretty much every other area of life, destruction is far easier than construction. ... It wouldn't bother me too much if we made it a rule that NAT was not allowed anywhere on the internet. ...
    • RE: Racoon Problem & Cisco Tunnel
      ... Internet is going to have to go there. ... IPv4, IPv6, and NAT are ... My protocol developers have a few LANs at home and we happily use NAT there. ...
    • Re: Antivirus und spybot
      ... Bei IPv4 und NAT gibt es sie nicht auf den einzelnen Endgeraeten, ... global geroutete Adressen bei IPv6. ... Der groesste Vorteil von IPv6 isz die fehlende Notwendigkeit fuer NAT. ... duer den das Internet nicht nur aus dem WWW und evt. ...
    • Re: Future of pf / firewall in FreeBSD =?UTF-8?Q?=3F=20-=20does?= =?UTF-8?Q?=20it=20have
      ... IPFilter 5 does IPv6 NAT. ... NAT66 is a specific implementation of IPv6 NAT behaviour. ... "All systems behind a stateful firewall with an appropriate rule set? ... Consider a small site with uplinks to two service providers: it can use ULA ...