Re: [fw-wiz] Internet accessible screened subnet - use public orprivate IPs?

From: David Lang (david.lang_at_digitalinsight.com)
Date: 07/22/05

    To: Dave Piscitello <dave@corecom.com>
    Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Dave Piscitello wrote:

    > Isn't this a question of whether you want to route or NAT?
    >
    > A server that is Internet-facing has to have (or be reachable via) a
    > public IP. If your ISP changes your block of public IP addresses, you
    > have to change:
    >
    > 1) the mapping between your private IP addresses and the new public
    > IP addresses (the static or 1:1 NAT case) or
    > 2) the IP addresses of all the servers, the IPs of the trusted and
    > external interfaces on the firewall, and the routing table (or
    > routing protocol configuration)
    >
    > (2) seems like a whole lot more work to me.

    first off, how frequently does your ISP reallocate your address range?

    secondly you are ignoring all the other work that you need to do when this
    change takes place. with all that in mind the difference in the amount of
    work seems a lot less.

    and as I said below, the trade off for simplifying this rare occurance of
    changeing your IP range comes with day-to-day costs in running NAT.

    David Lang

    > On 21 Jul 2005 at 18:28, David Lang wrote:

    >>> If you're NATing to your internal network, then a rework is
    >>> necessary- public stuff should be on its own (preferably) physical
    >>> subnet.
    >>>
    >>> IP addressing doesn't matter much, since you'll be letting stuff
    >>> through the most likely exploit vectors anyway.
    >>
    >> The thing I've been eharing for years about why NAT is better is that
    >> you may change ISP's and end up with a new set of IP addresses which
    >> are easier to change if you NAT.
    >>
    >> this may be true (I've actually never seen anyone acutally DO this),
    >> but you are trading one-time headaches (which I personally believe are
    >> no more severe then all the other changes that you need to make when
    >> changing things, firewalls, DNS, NAT tables, etc) for ongoing overhead
    >> (performance on your NAT device, troubleshooting, bugs in the NAT
    >> implementation, overloading of the NAT tables, etc)
    >>
    >> I would definantly have things that server the Internet use public
    >> addresses, once you get behind that layer and have devices that only
    >> talk to internal stuff, then make it all private addresses.
    >>
    >> David Lang
    >>

    >> --
    >> There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
    >> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
    >> other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
    >> deficiencies.
    >> -- C.A.R. Hoare

      -- C.A.R. Hoare

    • RE: [fw-wiz] Internet accessible screened subnet - use public or private IPs?
      ... NAT Table in one location. ... > A server that is Internet-facing has to have a ... If your ISP changes your block of public IP addresses, ... >> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Internet accessible screened subnet - use public orprivate IPs?
      ... Isn't this a question of whether you want to route or NAT? ... A server that is Internet-facing has to have a ... > I would definantly have things that server the Internet use public ... > make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: EBS 2008, TMG and external firewall. Dont want double NAT
      ... This is done because Exchange is bound to the internal interface and leaves the external interface to be *completely* controlled by TMG...a good security guideline by the way. ... If you are disabling NAT then you'll need to change this from a publishing rule to an access rule, but it should still work fine. ... The first is an access rule allows traffic from the internal IP to the external interface and to the messaging server ... One of the default rules is an "internet access for all users" that allows http and https by default. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: EBS 2008, TMG and external firewall. Dont want double NAT
      ... but didn't find it (searched this server for business, ... security level tool that comes with feature pack 1 if you set the ... disable NAT. ... I forward from the firewall to the internal interface it works (external ...