RE: [fw-wiz] Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

From: Keith A. Glass (salgak_at_speakeasy.net)
Date: 07/22/05

    To: "'David Lang'" <david.lang@digitalinsight.com>, "'Emily Conrad'" <emilydconrad@hotmail.com>
    Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:57:58 -0400

    -----Original Message-----
    From: firewall-wizards-admin@honor.icsalabs.com
    [mailto:firewall-wizards-admin@honor.icsalabs.com] On Behalf Of David Lang
    Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:24 PM
    To: Emily Conrad
    Cc: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

    >there are valid arguments (on both sides) about managing the OS yourself
    >vs trusting the vendor to do all the OS changes (the appliance approach)

    True. If I'm going with a single stand-alone firewall, I'd homebrew it
    using commodity gear.

    I still lean towards the Nortel/Alteon platform, ***IF*** you're clustering
    ***and IF*** you're doing a lot of nets or DMZs and don't want to spend all
    the remaining budget on high-end switching gear. We do that, plus load
    balancing, using 2 Alteon Directors and 2 Alteon Accellerators, and have
    configurable switch ports on the Accellerators to spare. We run NG AI R55,
    and are starting to experiment with NGX (i.e. R60).

    Then again, the PREVIOUS time I'd clustered Checkpoint, it was still V4, and
    we had not, at the time, moved up to NG AI, and as such, needed a LOT of
    Cisco fiddling to make it work. . .