RE: [fw-wiz] Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

From: Paul Melson (pmelson_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/21/05

    To: "'Sawyer, Christopher'" <Christopher.Sawyer@getronics.com>, "'Emily Conrad'" <emilydconrad@hotmail.com>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:39:07 -0400

    I don't know about your specific configuration or the prices you were
    quoted, but last time I priced Check Point products for a client failover
    was included with VPN-1 Pro and load sharing license was only another few
    thousand.

    For a smaller network where an IP1xx or IP2xx is plenty, I suppose the
    Nokia's might be cheaper. But I can't say that I've ever seen anybody
    attempt VRRP with a pair of IP130's. :) For a larger network where you'd
    deploy an IP5xx or IP7xx, however, an x86 server with similar performance
    would be roughly half the cost of the Nokia.

    PaulM