Re: [fw-wiz] RE: SSH brute force attack

From: Mark Ness (noneinc_at_gte.net)
Date: 07/19/05

    To: Brian Loe <knobdy@stjoelive.com>
    Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:38:50 -0700

    I have seen lots of views on this subject, and if your security is good,
    the chances of any of these
    attacks getting in are minimal, but the possibility is there, and, since
    these are not customers viewing
    our home pages, but deliberate attempts at a login through ssh where
    they have no business trying to l
    login in the first place (many of them attempts at root) they are only
    interested in breaking in for
    whatever purpose, who knows. Maybe just for the challenge? Maybe to
    hijack your box? Maybe ID theft?
    Brian Loe wrote:

    >Kind of risk losing customer access taking this route, don't you? For that
    >matter, shouldn't some security group focus on chasing down the criminals?
    >Curious on the group's take.

    • Re: Penetration test of 1 IP address
      ... I have been asked to perform a security audit of 1 IP address ... login page. ... Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] RE: SSH brute force attack
      ... > chances of any of these ... > attacks getting in are minimal, but the possibility is there, and, since ... but deliberate attempts at a login through ssh where they ... To install any kind of irc tools, ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: Penetration test of 1 IP address
      ... I have been asked to perform a security audit of 1 IP address ... login page. ... You really need to set ground rules with your client. ... Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Cross-Site Scripting - an industry-wide problem
      ... funny because xss can be used in PHISHING attacks. ... spoofing the original content (a login page) and capture username/password ... > does not mean XSS is not a security issue. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Risks Digest 27.16
      ... ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS ... Security Firm Bit9 Hacked, Used to Spread Malware Security Firm ... Super Bowl blackout was caused by electrical relay ... The timing of the attacks coincided ...
      (comp.risks)