Re: [fw-wiz] The Death Of A Firewall

From: Kerry Thompson (kez_at_crypt.gen.nz)
Date: 07/19/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:12:23 +1200

    On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 17:33 -0400, James Paterson wrote:
    http://www.securitypipeline.com/165700439

    > Be interesting to get the communities take on this article.

    It was covered on slashdot a couple of weeks ago.

    It starts off with grand contentious statements such as "I proposed to
    our technology architects that we eliminate our network firewalls", but
    in the details we see that they implement a tiered structure with a DMZ
    and ACLs on layer-3 switches, which from a distance looks a lot like a
    firewall structure to me.

    So, they seem to have got rid of the commercial boxes with "FIREWALL" on
    the front, and implemented defence in depth. Good on them for thinking
    about the problem and implementing a nice workable solution, but its
    hardly new.

    --
    Kerry Thompson CCNA CISSP
    http://www.crypt.gen.nz

    • RE: SP2 what a bunch of @#$!!!
      ... You should read less Slashdot - it is obviously biased in favour of open ... a simple ActiveX can turn off the firewall ... Slashdot is making huge noice out of non-existent Microsoft problems, ...
      (microsoft.public.vstudio.development)
    • Re: how to share internet connection in fedora
      ... Firestarter, Shorewall, and I believe there is a basic firewall configuration utility in the distro. ... Right, without knowing if he's asking how to plug two computers into a switch, use Fedora as a firewall, run multiple virtual machines network connected, or any of the other things you could mean by "share internet connection in fedora." ... the machinations of the wicked." ... - from Slashdot ...
      (Fedora)