[fw-wiz] Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

From: Emily Conrad (emilydconrad_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/12/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:17:59 +0000

    Hello,

    We are working on a project to upgrade our firewall infrastructure.

    One of the questions is whether to use FW-1 on a standard Intel server or to
    use a special-purpose optimized version of FW-1 on a dedicated hardware
    platform such as Nokia firewall appliance or Crossbeam systems C30/X40.

    Does anyone have any advice on what factors are important when making such a
    decision?

    Thanks,

    Emily

    • Re: ANY OPINIONS ON THE S-BOX?
      ... Actually I think it's manufactured by Sofaware and runs Checkpoint FW-1. ... this is even possible with the S-box, but if it is, it would cost you extra ... subscribe to a third party ISP that would remotely manage your firewall. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • R: Questions about fw-1
      ... > 1- FW-1 works with Statefull inspection technology, ... > SecureWay Firewall does, but does anybody know some CheckPoint ... It's good for enforcing bastions, natting, implementing security rules, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: SonicWall Pro 300 vs CheckPoint 4.0
      ... As far as comparing a Pro300 to FW-1 for the setup you've described, ... right infront of the firewall (and if you say pcAnywhere, ... blah blah blah. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Checkpoint Front End server - ISA Back End server - OWA Setup
      ... What version of FW-1? ... the traffic between ISA's internal interface and the Exchange server. ... Exchange server in plain HTTP format, ... I am not a firewall expert, but our firewall guy tells me this is a risk, ...
      (microsoft.public.isa)
    • Re: Firewall choice for web hosting
      ... > joined which hosts a very large volume web site. ... > flaws int he OS may expose the firewall to attack. ... Does the Nokia FW-1 ... If you're concerned about number of flaws, I think FW-1 has so far tended to ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)