RE: [fw-wiz] Opinion: Worst interface ever.

From: Mark Teicher (mht3_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 07/06/05

    To: "Eugene Kuznetsov" <eugene@datapower.com>
    Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:46:12 -0400

    The WG UI has been redesigned over the years, but still has the same
    clunk and feel it used to have in the early days, the context
    sensitive help actually works compared to years ago where one filed a
    bug and waited for the next rev. Their appliance design has changed
    many times for cost reasons. At one time or another they were known
    as "The Big RED BOX" firewall. I think that was when David Bonn was
    their Chief Technology Officer, since then I don't know who has been
    fiddling with the code or the User Interface. All I can say is that
    there are still issues with the interface and some of the newer
    features, whatever you do plan ahead when enabling the in-line AV and
    SPAM feature.
    You may want call technical support ahead of time and schedule lots
    of offline time to configure it properly or all your email might end
    up in /dev/null. :(

    At 10:44 AM 7/5/2005, Eugene Kuznetsov wrote:
    >I am not familiar with the WatchGuard interface, but I will say one general
    >thing in their defence -- this stuff is harder to do than it seems.
    >
    >For every user like you, who's annoyed about the redesign, there's another
    >one who demanded that the UI be reworked in the first place: to make it more
    >intuitive for his preferred configuration, or to add options for new
    >features. I'll even go out on a limb and bet $5 that somewhere in the first
    >5 minutes of your ordeal, you took a wrong turn, and it all went downhill
    >from there. Had you taken a different path, it would've all been good.
    >
    >Now, again, I don't know much about WG, they could be just awful. I just
    >know that "flexibility" and "ease-of-use" often work at cross-purposes and
    >it takes a whole lot of ingenuity, discipline and luck to pull it off. I
    >think we get it right with our products, most of the time, but it is not
    >easy.
    >
    >So take this as a vendor perspective: it's not easy, especially since
    >customer requirements are increasingly diverging. More features --> more
    >complexity.
    >
    >\\ Eugene Kuznetsov, Chairman & CTO : eugene@datapower.com
    >\\ DataPower Technology, Inc. : Web Services security
    >\\ http://www.datapower.com : XML-aware networks

    • Re: Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands closer to the surface"
      ... trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of operation was ... remake the entire Word user interface to produce these new features? ... since the "majority" of users don't create custom toolbars and ... Hey, folks, the "majority" of users also never create a macro, ...
      (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
    • RE: how to integrate ms project 2003 with a 3rd party system?
      ... features it might need that would make it more useful, ... about Microsoft Project ... alone system I want to develop does not interfer with MS Project but it uses ... MS Project as a main interface for user input. ...
      (microsoft.public.project)
    • Re: Saving YouTube Videos via New FireFox V14
      ... Like we need more eye candy or useless features ... perhaps you would have said the same about comparing Windows ... Sound Forge is superlative in its interface. ... people like bimbo-downed interfaces and eye candy. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Windows forms application without Managed Code?
      ... and want to do a major rewrite for other reasons as well. ... that a complete rewrite is going to cost $50,000. ... gamut of features from a possibly more productive development environment, ... user interface, but, utlimately, it does exactly what it is already doing. ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Re: Robots and astronomy
      ... interface to alternate sounds and generate sounds. ... tools that people don't see that come with a Windows OS. ... In 1989 I had dim features in my ... are made to be precise in a factory and repeat millions of sequences ...
      (sci.astro)