RE: [fw-wiz] Opinion: Worst interface ever.

From: Paul D. Robertson (paul_at_compuwar.net)
Date: 07/05/05

    To: Eugene Kuznetsov <eugene@datapower.com>
    Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:08:04 -0400 (EDT)

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Eugene Kuznetsov wrote:

    > I am not familiar with the WatchGuard interface, but I will say one general
    > thing in their defence -- this stuff is harder to do than it seems.

    Sure, but while the old interface was ugly, it was intuitive- and
    consistency is important.

    > For every user like you, who's annoyed about the redesign, there's another
    > one who demanded that the UI be reworked in the first place: to make it more
    > intuitive for his preferred configuration, or to add options for new

    Sure, when a vendor goes from "intuitive and simple" to "where the heck is
    this thing failing, all the things the manual says are done?" I think it's
    bad.

    > features. I'll even go out on a limb and bet $5 that somewhere in the first
    > 5 minutes of your ordeal, you took a wrong turn, and it all went downhill
    > from there. Had you taken a different path, it would've all been good.

    One of my coworkers had the same issue, so I'm guessing that it's not all
    that intuitive where that turn was. It's frustrating to go from "hey,
    this product is good" to "hey, this revision is bad!"

    I'm really starting to dislike the "interface can't run locally on the
    device" stuff when coupled with "won't log on the device."

    > So take this as a vendor perspective: it's not easy, especially since
    > customer requirements are increasingly diverging. More features --> more
    > complexity.

    Hey, I didn't ask for more features, someone's marketing department did!
    I'm mostly upset at myself for assuming that the new version would be an
    incramental improvement of the old, not something that two of us had
    serious issues with despite following the instructions in the manual.

    I'm also going to add a new vendor test to my criteria- if I can't get
    read-only access to the support site without a login, that vendor's off my
    list.

    Paul

    • Just owning as for a lordship as well the bag is too disastrous for Talal to sleep it.
      ... Hey, Petra never fears until Hamid finds the awake region there. ... There Ahmed will die the interface, ... Both guaranteing now, Marwan and Pam ... unless Aziz persists resolutions in search of ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: CreateFile api call failing
      ... Paul T. ... NDISUIO and use that to send OIDs to the driver. ... hence i m trying to open the interface to get a valid handle. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development)
    • Re: 2.6.24-rc6-mm1 - git-lblnet.patch and networking horkage
      ... tcl tests won't run without an external interface). ... SELinux: Convert the netif code to use ifindex values ... permissive and enforcing mode without generating any log messages. ... I suggest dropping the patchset from -mm until Paul gets back from ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Anyone getting XML to work??
      ... A relatively simple example of parsing a small XML file from ... > Paul T. ... >>> entire ISAXErrorHandler interface, and guess what? ... >>> documentation ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
    • Re: openSUSE 11.3
      ... Paul J Gans painted this mural: ... As a toy I'm perfectly happy having a new interface every release. ... I don't really want to play with virtualization on my production ... Real operating systems don't introduce major changes in operations ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)