RE: [fw-wiz] Proxy - content filter related

From: Bruce Smith (bruces_at_southerngold.co.za)
Date: 07/03/05

    To: <aptgetd@gmail.com>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:08:16 +0200

    Hi,

    This isn't a direct answer to your question, but here's my 2000 lira.

    Simplest way to do this is to get some sort of firewall, *BSD, *Linux or
    even a Linksys class box, in place and to block outgoing traffic except for
    the proxy server. Force the little ones through the proxy by making it the
    only route to the Internet. If they can get a direct route, NATed or
    unNATed, to the Internet, then there's a big problem if the idea is to
    control what they have access to. Then the proxy can do the work it's
    supposed to be doing.

    If the kids are using tunneling software that goes via legitimate channels,
    then you're s****ed. They're already several steps ahead of you and you're
    never going to catch up. We run in a billing situation and try to control
    access to media files to conserve bandwidth. When the users began tunneling,
    we investigated ideas on how to block them and found that since we were
    getting the money for the tunneled traffic anyway (goes through the billing
    proxy), it wasn't worth our while.

    As for sniffing flowing traffic, you would have to stick a *BSD or *Linux
    router in the path, hook a sniffer like Ethereal to it and hunt through what
    is probably large volumes of traffic. With the capture filters that Ethereal
    can use, you could try and catch the first packets in a conversation only.
    That would lessen the volume. Another option is to use Snort in a
    listen-only configuration, although this may require a switch capable of
    spanning ports, and write custom rules to look for HTTP traffic, unless they
    already exist.

    Hope this has helped a bit.

    Regards

    Bruce Smith