RE: [fw-wiz] Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: Paul Melson (pmelson_at_gmail.com)
Date: 06/21/05

    To: "'Behm, Jeffrey L.'" <BehmJL@bvsg.com>, "'Marcus J. Ranum'" <mjr@ranum.com>, "'David Lang'" <david.lang@digitalinsight.com>
    Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:16:22 -0400

    It's a failed analogy all around, though. In the case of bear vs. runner,
    one bear can only maul one runner at one time. I've got screens and screens
    worth of alert data that show that a single e-bear can chase and maul
    thousands of runners at the same time.

    I agree that doing something is better than doing nothing. I also agree
    that 2-factor AAA is viable and definitely worth the effort and expense for
    some organizations (including mine). But if your goal for securing your
    organization is to be better than you think your "neighbors" (whether
    they're in physical, logical, or market proximity) are, then all you can
    hope to achieve is to not suffer a compromise at the same time in the same
    way as your neighbors.

    As far as making my network a "hard target" in the military sense (Google
    for "hard target interdiction" or HTI), no thank you. :)

    PaulM