RE: [fw-wiz] so much for "deny all"

From: Paul Melson (psmelson_at_comcast.net)
Date: 06/14/05

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:54:47 -0400

    I think that Gartner's assertion that these firewalls "...allow all network
    traffic and behavior..." is likely to be a misstatement, at least insofar as
    these devices are either a) intended to be deployed behind an existing
    firewall with a typical ACL/NAT policy or b) have typical ACL and NAT
    capabilities in addition to [meaningless buzzword omitted] features. Either
    way, they can still be configured with a default deny-all rule.

    I think it's much ado about nothing (both the panic and the hype). The real
    issue is the same issue that's been plaguing networks since the first
    "stateful" firewalls shipped to customers: it is easier to adopt a sloppy
    trust model than it is to discover, document, and enforce a strict traffic
    policy. Despite the obvious problems firewall vendors are ultimately just
    vendors. They must move units, and therefore their products have features
    that appeal to our lazy networks and lax policies.

    PaulM