[fw-wiz] so much for "deny all"

From: Tina Bird (tbird_at_precision-guesswork.com)
Date: 06/07/05

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:41:26 -0700

    From the TechTarget coverage of the Gartner Security Summit this week:

    "Next generation firewalls that do deep-packet inspections from vendors like
    Juniper Networks, Check Point and Fortinet employ a heuristics engine and
    allow all network traffic and behavior, except those which policy says it
    must block. Most enterprises, however, refresh their firewall purchases on a
    three- to five-year cycle and that makes it challenging to synch new
    features."

    *sigh*

    <http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid45_
    gci1095755,00.html?track=NL-122&ad=518233> (site requires free registration)

    • Re: Firewall vs. IPS - Differences now (ISS, Intrushield 2.1?)
      ... > At first, there were packet filters, which only cared about what ports were ... > used and which hosts were talking; they were ignorant with regard to ... you missed the first step -- proxy firewalls. ... The vendors failed to ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: Firewall Basics
      ... I think it is prudent to have firewalls from 2 different vendors. ... vendor firewalls to successfully exploit your network. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Options for 50+ firewall deployment
      ... Enables the large-scale deployment of Cisco firewalls. ... Makue sure the RFP specifies throughput, fault tolerance, support and maintenance. ... they were but still lag on some of the features other enterprise vendors now provide. ... Information Technology - Baylor College of Medicine ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Netscreen firewalls
      ... I'm working now almost 10 years with Netscreen Firewalls. ... Yes, they have they little software bugs as every other piece of software, ... I know PIX, Checkpoint, Fortinet, Sonicwall and quite some others, but the ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] so much for "deny all"
      ... I think that Gartner's assertion that these firewalls "...allow all network ... capabilities in addition to features. ... Despite the obvious problems firewall vendors are ultimately just ... that appeal to our lazy networks and lax policies. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)