Re: [fw-wiz] Problem with Mac and PIX Firewall

From: Chuck Swiger (chuck_at_codefab.com)
Date: 06/04/05

    To: slytle <slytle@mac.com>
    Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:13:19 -0400

    On Jun 4, 2005, at 10:19 AM, slytle wrote:
    > I am trying to hook up a mac running OSX 10.3.9 to the DMZ on our
    > PIX Firewall. When I put in any internal 10. IP address, the Mac
    > warns me that this IP address is in use by another device with the
    > MAC Address of the firewall. It does this with multiple machines,
    > multiple IP addresses, and OS9. It does not happen with Windows.
    > I'm totally lost. Any ideas?

    MacOS X tries pretty hard to make sure that it doesn't claim an IP
    which is in use. Maybe the PIX is getting confused by the ARP check
    and responding when it shouldn't?

    Run "tcpdump -en" on the Mac, then try to set the IP address again.
    That should tell you what's going on, although if you need help in
    the fine art of understanding tcpdump's output, put that information
    somewhere and we can take a look...

    --
    -Chuck

    • Re: 99.9 % of Software/Hardware Firewalls DO-NOT.....
      ... >>> firewall is presumably protecting you. ... If you're saying that MAC ... >>> that has only been in existence since the first Cisco router. ... >>> or to an address, from a port, or from an address, or any combination of ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: OS X firewall and anti virus
      ... I've always loved the MAC and don't ... Actually, the lawsuit started with the release of Windows 2, and was ... have active anti-malware software. ... Any recommendations for a firewall as well? ...
      (comp.sys.mac.apps)
    • Re: Advocacy #43: Virus hits; many in the company still down
      ... All browsing outside the corporate firewall is blocked, ... reimaged and tried to go to Canon.com to download a driver ... ... Mac just fine. ... It's been purported that IT broadcast a hosts file to ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: cant access public website from within web server domain, need to force NAT
      ... It is normal behavor tied to how TCP/IP combined with Ethernet (mac ... external NIC of the Firewall at the same time,...therefore the Source MAC ... What you want is the have a record in your own DNS Server for these sites' ... those machine from the Internet. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Re: Best Adventure or Role-Playing Games on Mac
      ... Gregory Weston wrote: ... Jolly Roger wrote: ... As long as you're not using Leopard's firewall in per-application mode. ... knew that Fallout is available for the Mac. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.apps)