[fw-wiz] Re: Firewalls acting as access controllers

From: Ramesh Krishnan (csramesh_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/26/05

    To: Green Horn <teachgreenhorn@yahoo.com>
    Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 18:02:39 +0530

    you probably need a software which can restrict the employee access to
    the internet.

    i have tried this and it worked out with PIX firewall and the content
    filgtering tool "websense"(http://www.websense.com).if you want, you
    can integrate this with active directory and provide user based access
    also.

    regards,

    ramesh

    On 5/25/05, Green Horn <teachgreenhorn@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am new to firewalls.
    > Do firewalls provide dynamically defined access
    > control i.e., can they act as access controllers.
    > e.g., it should be able to do the following, a user
    > tries to access a resource, the packets would come to
    > the firewall, if they are HTTP packets and the user is
    > new (from IP address not being in the authenticated
    > list), the packets would be redirected to a webproxy,
    > the webproxy tries to get the user authenticated by a
    > AAA server (say RADIUS), the firewall would get an
    > authorization message from the AAA server (or
    > webproxy), saying the time the user must be allowed
    > access, the resources he can access etc.
    > The firewall would provide that access.
    >
    > Can this be done by the firewalls in the market such
    > as Checkpoint firewall-1
    >
    > greenhorn.

    • Re: iptables and dhcp
      ... > the same physical network segment as the firewall and the remote DHCP ... You used INPUT and not FORWARD chain ... # This target allows packets to be marked in the mangle table ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Trouble accessing Outlook Web Access from behind firewall
      ... When starting the firewall I also set ... > rejected and dropped packets are logged, however I see nothing in my log ... > # Higher ports needed to accept incoming/outgoing calls ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Visnetic and 8signs firewall LOOPHOLE Read....
      ... I said I am just reporting bug in your Firewall, ... From the Port Scan/Properties control screen: ... The firewall filtered 100% of the packets that were received. ... operating system (I'm talking Windows, ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: strange network traffic
      ... Maybe not so wise to not have a firewall and trust a third party lurker to ... Subject: strange network traffic ... > -> connection established, following packets have neither SYN nor ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: port 80 is open
      ... The firewall drops all packets initiated ... > internet the ISP router does not send the unreachable message. ... and then close the connection as your IP is seen as not connected. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)