RE: [fw-wiz] A fun smackdown...

From: Behm, Jeffrey L. (BehmJL_at_bvsg.com)
Date: 05/20/05

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:16:35 -0500

    On Friday, May 20, 2005 10:56 AM, Chuck Swiger spake:

    > A door lock which rejects all keys, even a good key,
    > is more "secure" than a lock which rejects only
    > invalid keys.

    This made me think of a denial of service attack which
    renders the system (door) unavailable. Does a DoS make
    the system more secure? It seems like some _might_ say
    _Yes_, since the system would effectively be blocked.
    I would say no, it's not more secure, at least, not if
    the definition of security includes _availability_.

    Security (def.) - Ensuring integrity, confidentiality,
    availability of systems, data, etc.

    I believe some definitions offered here of security
    imply being _not available_. Not just to unauthorized
    folks, but anyone in general. While perhaps technically
    correct, it's not very practical (as has already been
    pointed out).

    Maybe we are not in agreement in what the term,
    secure, means, and need to better define that first,
    so we are all on the same page from the start.

    • Re: Ten least secure programs
      ... it's probably better you leave the topic alone ... I said I do not have security issues with the programs I code. ... I didn't realize you were a Linux user, ... > the most widely used and secure UNIX flavors? ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • "An Asp.Net accident waiting to happen" - Draft article
      ... In a time where Security ... in shared hosting environments. ... technologies that allow the creation and deployment of secure ... IIS 6 web server and windows 2003 also provide some tools to deploy ...
    • RE: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
      ... I do agree that the additions and changes to Solarius will make it more secure and that this is good. ... Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk ... instead I would say that the view that security is ... Four Construction Workers Died after Crane Collapse in Toledo, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
      ... Anyone who has been working with computers for a long time will have noticed ... because DNS does not configure properly or security permissions are relaxed ... Is It Also Secure ... guarantee that no one really knows for sure, not even Microsoft developers. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...
      ... If you are serious about making your machine secure, ... learn a thing or two about security. ... These logs are mailed to the root user at 3am. ... Setup dovecot and use a local email client to fetch it. ...
      (Fedora)