[fw-wiz] Thoughts on the new Cisco ASA 5500 firewalls

From: Chris Byrd (cbyrd01_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/18/05

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:37:24 -0500

    I consult with a company that is currently in the process of
    purchasing a new Pix firewall failover pair. However, last week Cisco
    announced the new ASA 5500 series that should be available (according
    to Cisco) by the end of the month. I normally don't recommend going
    with anything that new, but for the about same price the ASA appears
    to have a much more robust feature set.

    What are your thoughts on the new ASA from Cisco? Would the
    additional features (IPS, AV, integrated VPN, active-active failover)
    be worth the risk of being on the cutting-edge? Has anyone on the
    list worked with one yet?

    Thanks,

    Chris